Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Moving On

21st Of Last Seed, 4E 201

It's Appreciation Day. A holy day for contemplation dedicated to Mara.

Secrets don't stay secret long in small towns. This is especially true of Riverwood. I had been staying with Ralof and his sister Gerdur since the incident in Helgen and, when I woke up this morning, Ralof and I talked about the dragon and the Stormcloak rebellion and he urged me to head to Whiterun to speak with the Jarl. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was trying to put the incident behind me. I was going to head towards the mine to see if I could pull any more iron from it and, just before I left the hose, Hod, Gerdur's husband, approached me. He wanted to know what it was like to see a dragon up close. I didn't want to talk about it.

On my way out of town, I bumped into a Wood Elf named Faendal who talked to me about Camilla. Apparently, Hod and I weren't the only ones who were struck by her beauty. Faendal told me that Camilla was being wooed by Sven the bard. Yet another indication that I should have been a bard. Anyway, Faendal had a plan to break them up. He had written a letter in Sven's handwriting that was sure to anger Camilla. Assuming she wouldn't bother to investigate any further, that is. Faendal asked me to give her the letter. I found her at a table at the Sleeping Giant Inn. I approached her and she smiled at me. That smile melted my heart. For a moment, I considered telling her the truth, that Faendal was trying to frame Sven. But.....I couldn't. Part of me wanted Camilla for myself knowing that, despite anything Sven would do, she'd never give her heart to Faendal. A Nord and a Wood Elf? I don't see it ever happening. So, I have her the letter and Camilla assured me that she'd never speak to Sven again.

Faendal was beyond pleased, but I felt sick at what I had done. On a day devoted to the goddess of Love, I diverted love's course. I saw it as yet another indication that I should move on. To my surprise, Faendal offered to join me. Maybe he was hoping to get out of town before Camilla figured everything out and the jig was up. Maybe he just wanted to go on an adventure. And as for Sven......I wonder if he knows any old songs about dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment