Thursday, March 21, 2013

Welcome To Falkreath

My grandfather used to tell me stories about Falkreath and how Nords and Bretons had been fighting over the area for centuries before the arrival of Hjalti High-Beard. One night, after beating back Reachman forces, Hjalti was visited by Ysmir who taught him the Way of the Voice which allowed him to shout down the walls of Old Hrol'dan. From that moment on, he was known as Talos and he would go on to unite Tamriel and be crowned Emperor Tiber Septim. His eventual death turned him into one of the Divines. But worshipping him is outlawed throughout the Empire now, thanks to the treaty that ended the Great War with the Thalmor.

And here, in Falkreath, is where much of that history took root. It's apparent from the size of its ancient cemetery that many warriors fought and died for their beliefs here. Being he makes me wonder what it is that I believe. I don't have an answer yet. All I know right now is that I want to start a business and make a living. Once that's done, I can better afford to have a philosophy.  I'd need to be able to purchase some land first. To that end, I approached the Jarl of Falkreath in the hopes that he might be able to provide Faendal and me with some adventuring work. He wouldn't even consider it unless I could bring him some Black Briar mead. I asked Faendal where we might be able to get some, but he just stared at me.

I figured that perhaps some of the locals might have some work, so we went to the local Inn, Dead Man's Drink, to inquire about. Turns out the Thane of Falkreath happens to be a conspiracy nut and he hired me to steal the note from the home of the local blacksmith. I normally wouldn't stoop to thievery, but I couldn't pass up a chance to take my competition down a peg. You'd think a blacksmith would have a better lock on his house. I picked the lock easily, went in and stole the letter. As I picked it up, I noticed that there was a bottle of Black Briar mead nearby, which I also picked up. So, not only did this minor theft earn me a little coin, but it also earned me some credibility in the eyes of the Jarl. He has already sent Faendal and I off on an adventure: We're to clear one of the nearby mines of bandits.

No comments:

Post a Comment